Tom Clark focuses his practice on business organizations and commercial transactions.
- Business Organizations
- Commercial Transactions
- Government Relations
- Employment Law
- J.D., University of Pittsburgh (1997)
- B.A., Virginia Tech (1993)
General Corporate Practice
- Routinely act as general counsel to closely-held businesses, handling business organizational and shareholder relationship issues (eg shareholder agreements, operating agreements, buy-sell agreements and management agreements), workforce issues (developing employee handbooks and counseling on employee discipline and termination issues), commercial transactions, collections and financings. Current clients operate in the following industries: construction, health care (physician practices and post-acute care providers, primarily), manufacturing, oil and gas exploration and production, oil and gas well service providers, and retail/restaurant.
- Organized more than one hundred corporations, limited liability companies and other forms of business organization, including the drafting of all charter and constitutional documents
- Represented multiple professional practices and other businesses in the admission of new partners
- Developed and implemented an organizational structure of a large primary care physician practice with affiliated multi-specialty group and accountable care organization
- Represented a construction company and its primary shareholder, an employee stock option plan, in the redemption of the corporation’s founder
- Developed the post-merger ownership and management structure for the merger of multiple physician practices
- Represented the majority shareholders in the split-up of a corporation primarily engaged in real estate ownership and management
- Developed and implemented the organizational structure of a large post-acute health care provider with multiple service lines
- Represent regional banks in the negotiation and preparation of loan and collateral documents
- Routinely act as local counsel to borrowers seeking syndicated financing or borrowing money subject to guarantee from a federal agency and prepare requested opinion documents
- Represented the founders of an oil and gas well servicing company in the admission of a venture capital fund as an equity partner
- Represented multiple critical-access hospitals in the negotiation of construction loans to build replacement hospitals
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Represented a post-acute health care provider in the acquisition of multiple skilled nursing facilities, assisted living facilities and ancillary service lines (pharmacy, therapy, home health and companion services)
- Represented buyer in the acquisition of a brick and block manufacturing and distribution operation
- Represented oil and gas exploration and production companies in the purchase and sale of acreage, leases, wells and gathering and pipeline systems
- Represented physicians in the purchase and sale of professional practices
- Represented the buyer in the acquisition of a large number of tenant-occupied warehouse properties
- Represented the seller in the divestiture of a family-owned franchise of a distribution business
- Represented the buyer in the acquisition of a water and sewer installation specialty contractor
- Represented the seller in the divestiture of an infusion pharmacy
- Board of Directors, Habitat for Humanity of Kanawha-Putnam, 2013 to present. Vice-Chair of Board, 2014. Chair of Board, 2015.
- Board of Directors, Highland Hospital Foundation, 2014 to present.